Caprese Frittata. This is what weekend breakfasts look like over here. Slightly obsessed with everything Caprese, this frittata has been a long time coming. Because this is what we cook for brunch on our lazy Sunday mornings. You know those mornings where you can’t be bothered getting out of bed and drag yourself out of covers!
At 3 WW Smart Points, or 106 calories per slice, this low carb, high protein frittata beats the flavour out of bland old cereal any day!
The best part this Frittata is the garlic infused, pan fried, juicy tomato and fresh basil mixture. I use grape tomatoes for this frittata. Nothing beats the sweet, burst of flavour from grape or cherry tomatoes.
With the addition of hidden spinach makes this a Caprese Frittata with a small boost of extra nutrition. Half of the tomatoes are cooked inside this frittata to permeate that subtle hint of garlic, basil and tomato flavour through the eggs. The other half are then placed on top, drizzled with balsamic glaze, to complete an incredible breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
Just. Like. Pizza. Mozzarella cheese slices are cooked right inside with the eggs, to melt and become a stringy mess when pulling the slices out of the pan.
Having said all that; if you find you just want a plain frittata without any extra tomato topping, this is what it looks like down there ↓↓↓
Either way, with or without, you can’t go wrong, because all of those incredible Caprese flavours are locked right inside. Enjoy!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers Smart Points: 3 per serve (out of 8 slices)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (or 2 large cloves garlic, minced)
- 250 g | (9 oz) grape tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, stems removed, finely sliced or shredded
- salt to season (optional)
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim/low fat milk)
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves, pre washed and ready to use
- 90 g | 3 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, slice thinly into rounds
- 2 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Balsamic Glaze
- Preheat your oven to broil or grill setting on medium heat.
- Slice tomatoes in half horizontally. Heat oil in an 8-inch non stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the garlic, stirring while it cooks for about one minute until fragrant. Add the tomato slices and basil. Continue cooking until the tomatoes are becoming slightly blistered and soft.
- While the tomatoes are frying: whisk the eggs, milk and a pinch of salt together in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. When tomatoes are ready, transfer HALF of the tomato mixture onto a warmed plate; cover and set aside.
- Pour the egg mixture into the remaining tomatoes in the pan, stirring the tomatoes around through the eggs (for about 20 seconds) to mix the flavours through.
- Reduce heat to low-medium; add in the spinach leaves and arrange the mozzarella slices evenly over top, pressing them down slightly into the egg, and cook until the eggs are almost set (the centre will be slightly runny). It takes about 8 minutes (approximately).
- Sprinkle the extra cheese (if using) over the top and transfer pan/skillet into the preheated oven. Grill/broil until the top is golden, puffed up and cooked through. The edges and the bottom of the frittata will be golden.
- To serve, warm the remaining tomatoes and basil mixture, and spoon over the top. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.