The perfect light appetiser before any festivities… Crispy Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Honey Garlic Prawns (or Shrimp) to kick start your holiday!
Trust me, these look more complicated than they actually are!
Instead of serving them with a dipping sauce, make a creamy guacamole to go with them. Prawns and avocados together are a winning combination, whether it’s a good sushi roll, a salad, or these Garlic Prawn and Avocado Crostini, which are still going crazy on the internet.
And now wrapped in bacon… crispy baconnnn… it’s an even better combination.
Leave the tails on for easier dipping, or take them off and use toothpicks to serve. It’s really up to you. Try to find thin slices of bacon to make sure both are cooked at the same time. There’s nothing worse than over cooked rubbery shrimp and undercooked, non-crispy bacon.
I fry these up in the oven under the grill (or broiler), slathered in an incredible barbecue sauce filled with garlic, honey and a splash of soy.
They crisp up so quickly and are ready on your table in less than 20 minutes.
Brush them with extra sauce.
Bacon wrapped barbecue honey garlic prawns for the win!
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- Salt to season
- 500g | 1lb large shrimp (prawns), peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 14 bacon slices
- 3 large ripe avocados, mashed
- 8 grape or cherry tomatoes, finely sliced
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper/capsicum
- 3 shallots (or scallions), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (adjust to your tastes)
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to grill (or broil settings) on medium-high heat, with rack on the top third half of the oven (just above half way).
- Combine sauces, honey, juice, garlic, oil and ginger in a shallow bowl. Season with salt (if needed); add the prawns and allow to marinade for 10 minutes (optional).
- In the meantime, cut bacon slices in half lengthwise. Wrap one bacon slice around each (prawn) and repeat until all done. Arrange the prawns in a single layer on a lined baking tray/sheet. Grill/broil for 10 minutes until bacon is crispy and sizzling. Turn and grill/broil for a further 5 minutes until shrimp/prawns are cooked through.
- While shrimp/prawns are grilling, prepare your guacamole. Combine all guac ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Serve the shrimp/prawns with the guac!
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.