Skillet Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Parmesan — Lightened Up!
So much cheese. So much CHEESE! This is like Chicken Parmigiana – inside out. Because it’s stuffed with cheese and tomato and…cheese.
Our love for Chicken Parmigiana grows fond and deep and runs in my cheese blooded veins.
But to make it in one pan…and super easy….and STUFFED with Mozzarella Cheese?
Yeah, even better.
And so easy to make. I swear. All in one pan. No, I haven’t gone crazy.
1. Spread with tomato paste and season with herbs
2. Dip in your magical garlicky egg wash
3. Crumb in a mixture of breadcrumbs
4. Fry in a small amount of oil
Grill your cheese for extra cheesy-ness
And lift those chicken rolls out of the pan to see more stringy cheese all up in your face. And when I say all up in your face…I mean all up in your face.
Cut them open to see MORE cheese string out of your chicken. Oh. Lord help me.
Weight Watchers: 9pp per stuffed chicken roll + sauce for serving
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets (or cutlets)
- Salt to season
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons garlic and herb flavoured tomato paste (or flavour of choice)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (Extra)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder, divided (or extra salt)
- 10 thin slices Mozzarella cheese
- 1 bottle Pasta/Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 230C | 450F. Lightly pound fillets between sheets of parchment/baking paper to ¼-inch thickness using a mallet. Pat chicken dry; season with salt.
- In a shallow medium-sized bowl, whisk the the egg, garlic powder and salt together. Set aside. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, panko, basil and parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 tablespoon tomato paste over one side of each fillet; top with parsley, garlic powder and vegetable stock powder; place one slice of mozzarella onto each half of a fillet; roll each fillet (starting from the cheese end) and place seam side down. (Seal with a toothpick if needed).
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or oven-proof frying pan) over medium heat. Evenly coat the rolled chicken fillets into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the chicken (seam side down again) into the preheated skillet/pan and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes until the coating is golden brown and the cheese on the inside has melted.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in the pasta sauce. Move the chicken around with tongs so the sauce is evenly covered over the base of the pan; allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour some sauce from the pan over each chicken; place skillet/pan in the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven; top each chicken roll with remaining cheese slices; return to oven and allow to grill/broil on medium heat until cheese has melted over the top. Garnish with extra dried parsley and Italian herbs.
- Serve warm over pasta; mashed potatoes or with a salad.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.