Dulce De Leche Churro Empanadas With A Mexican Chocolate Dipping Sauce Spiked With A Little Nutella!
Feliz Cinco De Mayo!! Celebrando over here in STYLE for my Mexican friends!!
Dulce de leche STUFFED Empanadas…covered in melted butter and cinnamon sugar…and dipped in a Mexican chocolate! I bring you…..Churro Empanadas!
Dulce De Leche made the only way I know how…..with condensed milk. And so worth it. Creamy…thick…and super sweet! BUT! You can use store bought Caramel. Make sure it’s thick!
Ok…so I know this isn’t ‘healthy,’ or weight friendly. BUT! It is Cinco De Mayo, and it’s party time.
These Empanadas are the best Empanadas I’ve ever had in my life. I know…that’s a big call. But it’s a big truth.
I made these with Puff Pastry…but you can use shortcut pastry or any other pastry you like (I’ve heard good things about Crescent roll pastry)! These took me about 10 minutes to cut into round shape; spoon the caramel onto them…and fold over to bake.
Then brush them over with melted butter….coat them in Cinnamon Sugar…
And dip them in this incredible Mexican chocolate. It’s ok. We can totally be friends when you try these.
Weight Watchers: 6pp per Empanada (not incl. chocolate dipping sauce)
- 1x 395g |14oz can sweetened condensed milk (or ready made Dulce De Leche/Nestle Caramel Top n Fill)
- 3 sheets puff pastry or shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg white, whisked
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 100g | 3.5oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped/broken into pieces (I use Lindt 70%)
- 4 tablespoons reduced fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Nutella (optional)
- Peel the label off the can; place it whole into a large saucepan and cover the can with water (about 2-inches higher than the top of the can. Bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat to the lowest setting on your stove to allow the water to simmer gently for 2½ - 3 hours (or 3½ - 4 hours for a deeper caramel). Using tongs, VERY CAREFULLY turn over the cans halfway through simmering. When the water level begins to reduce down below the top of the cans, top it up with boiled water from a kettle. After simmering, take the saucepan off the heat and allow the can to come to room temperature. (Leave overnight if you have the time). Let them cool completely before opening. Once completely cooled, open the caramel and pour it out into a medium sized bowl. Stir really well.
- Preheat oven to 176C | 350F. Cut 4 circles out from each pastry sheet (I used a 12cm | 4-inch round pie cutter). Spoon 1 tablespoon of Dulce De Leche onto one side of each pastry circle; lightly brush each side edge with the whisked egg white; fold each circle over and pinch the pastry at the edges. Fold them over and pinch again to create a 'seal,' Brush the tops over with the remaining egg white; lightly pierce the tops with a fork; place them onto an oven tray lined with baking paper; and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and puffed up.
- Allow them to cool for about 5 minutes; brush them over with the melted butter; and evenly coat them in the Cinnamon Sugar mixture. Serve with the Mexican chocolate dipping sauce!
- Melt the chocolate and milk together over stove top in a small sauce over gentle heat; or alternatively in the microwave in 30 second increments, until melted. Remove from heat and stir until smooth with a fork until smooth and silky. Stir through the chili powder, vanilla, cinnamon and Nutella (if using), and mix until smooth.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.