Tomato Beef Eggplants
From my table to yours…
There’s really no other way to explain this beautiful plate! I guess I could start with low carb, high protein, low fat…but that’s all blah-blah *whatever* to me. Because those words don’t describe how deliciously delicious these really are.
If you’re not a huge fan of eggplant (like me), you will love these. Well, I’d like to think so anyway. I figured after having these, I will only ever eat eggplant covered in tomato something. That’s the way…uh-huh uh-huh..I like it…uh-huh uh-huh!
It’s kinda funny…over 30 and still learning stuff about myself I never knew.
Finger licking and lip smacking good. Sounds cliche I know, but I kinda need it to be! It’s the ultimate truth.
I’m gonna confess something here. None of us are huge eggplant fans. My husband and my 3 tornados..I mean kids — will generally turn their noses up on eggplant. Poor ol’ eggplants.
Stuffing them with meat though? And then pouring a sauce over them? It’s like WOW and KAPOW all in one.
What do I love even more? The Eggplants somehow absorb all the tomato juices, and when you bite into them, your mouth fills with so much warm tomato flavours that — for a moment you just close your eyes and savour every bite and mouthful.
Have you even seen the movie Ratatouille? If not…go get it. Because there’s a scene out of that where Remy sees fireworks.
I saw fireworks.
For a brief moment…I was Remy.
Sprinkle with Parsley and basil…and oh my foodness.
And so versatile…you could enjoy these with any of your favourite sides… Rice; potatoes; or just a simple and humble, fresh and crunchy capsicum/bell peppers salad. Which is exactly what we did.
Tomato Beef Eggplants
A beautiful low in fat and carbs meal that the whole family enjoys!
Refresh your Eggplants!
- Serves 4
- 2 eggplants , cut in half horizontally (to make 4 halves)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 onion , chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tomato , diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parley , chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil , chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder (I love cooking with <a target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=vegeta&linkCode=ur2&tag=cafedeli-20&linkId=YV42TNZYJKRHLJNY">vegeta</a><img src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=cafedeli-20&l=ur2&o=1" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />)
- 1 can <a target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=condensed%20tomato%20soup&linkCode=ur2&tag=cafedeli-20&linkId=7YETEKH7B4HKNCK3">condensed tomato soup</a><img src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=cafedeli-20&l=ur2&o=1" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" /> or your favourite pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs (extra)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil (extra for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven 180C | 356F.
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplants, leaving an inch width of a shell. Sprinkle salt on to the eggplant shells. Set aside.
- Chop eggplant flesh finely. Combine it in a bowl with the beef mince, onion, garlic, tomato, parsley, basil, breadcrumbs and stock powder.
- Wash salt off eggplants, and dry them well.
- Cover base of baking dish with foil.
- Pour 1/2 the can or jar of tomato soup/pasta sauce into tray. Place eggplants into baking dish (meat side up).
- Pour remaining soup/sauce over the tops.
- Sprinkle eggplants with additional breadcrumbs.
- Cover tray with foil and place into oven to cook for 45 minutes.
- After cook time, remove foil off tray and change oven settings to grill/broil eggplants for a further 5 – 10 minutes or until tips are crispy and golden.
- Spoon tomato sauce over eggplants and top with extra herbs before serving.
We have in Syria a very similar dish, called “Tabakh Roho”.
Oh wow! This looks so good! I’ve never been this excited about eggplant before… I’m totally making this soon.
Awesome! I can’t wait to hear how you go!
Sooo delicious! I hate eggplant and even convinced myself ( and my mother) that I was allergic to it. In this dish, the beef is very tasty and flavourful but, that eggplant shell is divine!
Wow me too! I’m so happy you enjoyed this dish! Xx