No Yeast Choc Chip Cinnamon Rolls
Soft and fluffy yeast-free cinnamon rolls covered in melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chips and the perfect cream cheese frosting for a beautiful breakfast to wake-up to Christmas morning. And best of all? Half the fat of normal Cinnamon Buns! Yes!
Who said you can’t lose weight, or maintain it, while enjoying Cinnamon Rolls? After many months of my Instagram followers asking — or technically begging — me to come up with something they can enjoy without the guilt Cinnamon Rolls normally bring, I thought what better to give this as a Christmas gift to you all: right before Christmas?
After scouring magazines and recipe books all over the place, I finally found Cooks Illustrated and instantly fell in love.The first attempt? Not sa’ good.
But this second time around? Oh so soft and fluffy I nearly died.
And if the empty tray needing to be washed in the kitchen sink can tell me anything at all, it would be that my family definitely approved this one.
Although we are Nutella heads up in here with all the Nutella Recipes coming outta my ears lately, (which reminds me, I’ll be smearing Nutella into these guys when I make ’em again), we are also Cinnamon lovers. Donut lovers. And Cinnamon Roll admirers.
But. Baking with yeast scares the living yeast outta me.
Mainly because I don’t normally bake with it, and I don’t have time to wait for it to rise.
I need quick. Now. Yesterday-type recipes.
And this one might just be the one.
Because lighter on the hips Cinnamon Rolls? Yeah…throw one or two over here please! Ahhhh so fluffy!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 5pp per roll!
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/3 cup natural sweetener/granulated sugar of choice
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- (EXTRA) 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing dough
- 2 1/2 cups light spelt flour (or plain/all-purpose flour/s), plus 1/4 cup extra flour for working and dusting
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar/natural sweetener of choice
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons light butter , melted
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, it can be easily made with 1 1/4 cups skim/low fat milk and 1 1/4 tablespoon white vinegar/lemon juice; mix through as the very first step and set aside)
- 125 g | 4oz low fat/fat free cream cheese , softened at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons low fat vanilla greek yoghurt (or any yoghurt)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar/natural sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 220c | 425F. Line 2x '12 muffin' muffin trays with liners or baking/parchment paper measured to fit muffin holes, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar/sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Mix well, and add in the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Mix together until well combined, and set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, whisk together the 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Make a well in the centre, and pour the melted butter and 'buttermilk' into the centre, mixing them well before folding in to the rest of the ingredients. Mix gently with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead mixture for about 30 seconds until smooth. If the dough is too sticky and wet to work with, add 2 tablespoons flour and knead again. (Add a little extra flour only if needed at this point, but do not go over 1/4 cup extra flour).
- Sprinkle work bench/surface with a little extra flour, coat your hands in a little flour, and shape the dough with your hands into a 13 x 10 inch rectangle. Brush the surface with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter, and spread the brown sugar mixture over the top (leaving a 1cm | 1/2-inch gap around the edges). Start rolling the dough from on the long edge until rolled to opposite end. Roll it seam side down and, using a sharp knife, cut dough into 14 equal portions.
- Place rolls into prepared muffin holes. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes until edges are golden brown. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the tops while they're still warm.
- Blend together cream cheese, yoghurt, sugar, vanilla and lemon until smooth and free from lumps.
- Warm frosting up in the microwave and pour over cinnamon rolls.
Best served warm and fresh out of the oven, or warmed up in the microwave if storing.
Store in an airtight container for one day, or freeze for two months.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.