Lamington French Toast with Raspberry Jam Syrup
*Edit: I’m thrilled to announce this recipe is the winner of Australia’s Best Recipes Home Cook Hero Classic Australian Competition! You can find the article here: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/article/Winner-of-Home-Cook-Hero-Classic-Australian-a1661.html AND read more about what inspires me here: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/article/Meet-the-Home-Cook-Hero-Classic-Australian-recipes-winner-a1662.html *Finish Edit
Your Australia Day breakfast is covered with our classic Australian Lamington — with a breakfast twist! Lamington French Toasts! Chocolate iced French Toasts covered in finely desiccated coconut and drizzled with a raspberry jam syrup for the most decadent French Toasts….ever.
Australians all let us rejoice!
Lamingtons are beautiful cake squares covered in sweet sweet chocolate and coconut. They are a beautiful treat at tea times, for breakfast, or after any meal.
And while eyeing some jam stuffed Lamingtons at the supermarket, my brains gotsta thinkin about this creation.
Because starting Australia Day the Australian way – besides fried eggs, sausages and bacon on the bbq- is the only Australian thing to do.
Instead of stuffing these with cream and jam (which you could totally do too), I made some jam into a syrup, and drizzled it all over them.
Seriously, this is the best breakfast by far.
So, the family have requested I make these again for tomorrows breakfast. Guess who’s not complaining. Yes. That would be me.
This kinda looks complicated….I know. But it’s really not.
It’s a matter of turning any plain ol’ french toast with any plain ol’ bread you have lying around, (I use sourdough because I have a little love affair happening with it, but you can use any plain bread – no grains for the Lamington effect)…..
…..and turn it into an incredible way to start your day.
Dunk it, dip it, drizzle it..
Eat it! Done.
You can thank me later….
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 7pp per French Toast including Jam syrup
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or low fat/skim milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices (day-old) bread of choice
- 2/3 cups icing/confectioners' sugar (or a sugar-free icing mix)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of warm/boiling water
- 1/4 cup Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup desiccated/finely shredded coconut (you won't use it all, but it helps to have this quantity to evenly coat the french toasts)
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a wide shallow dish. Add one piece of bread at a time to soak in the egg mix, then place in a lightly buttered preheated frying pan/skillet. Fry until golden on each side and cooked through. Repeat with each bread slice.
- Make the Chocolate Icing; in another shallow dish, whisk together the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Add the warm/boiling water and mix until a thick chocolate sauce-like icing forms.
- Prepare a separate shallow dish with the coconut and set aside. Dip each french toast into the chocolate icing until all sides are evenly covered; allow any excess icing to drip off, then place each chocolate covered french toast into the bowl of coconut; turning to evenly cover. (Sprinkle coconut over the top to get a good coating.)
- Make the Jam Syrup; combine the jam and water in a serving jug, and whisk until a syrup forms.
- To serve: drizzle the jam syrup over the top to serve!
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.