Chickpea Tomato Salad with a lemon herb dressing is a hit as a quick side or meal!
Full of fresh ingredients and a different way to use beans, our Chickpea Tomato Salad is healthy, filling and super addictive. The bonus? You will love the Lemon-herb-garlic dressing!
CHICKPEA TOMATO SALAD
Fresh and fulfilling, who doesn’t love a versatile salad? This one goes crazy at any time of the day — lunch or dinner — as a cheeky snack or a vegetarian main OR as a side with your main. Chickpea Tomato Salad is a win-win!
WHAT YOU NEED
Chickpeas — you can use canned for a quick salad, or use fresh beans soaked overnight and boiled day of preparation.
Grape tomatoes — cherry tomatoes or diced Roma tomatoes are fine too.
Red onion — preferred, however change it up and use green onions, chives, white onions, or whatever you have on hand.
Parsley — curly or flat-leaf.
That’s IT! Really.
The most important element here is the dressing
TOMATO SALAD DRESSING
Making this chickpea tomato salad recipe over the years, I’ve found the best dressing that compliments the chickpea/tomato combination is a lemon herb dressing. Olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, salt, pepper and an optional pinch of cayenne. It doesn’t get any easier.
You can really make it your own and add any other herbs you like, for example dried basil, dried parsley, Italian dried herbs, thyme, rosemary, dill, etc.
Share our Chickpea Tomato Salad between two people and enjoy it for lunch! Simply serve it on its own or with a piece of crusty bread to mop up the delicious garlicky oil in the dressing.
To serve as a side, it goes really well with Lemon Roast Chicken, Greek Lamb Chops or our Greek Chicken with Potatoes and Roast Pork with Crackle.
OPTIONAL ADD INS
The beauty of this Chickpea Tomato Salad is that the flavours go with anything! You can add anything else you have in the pantry or fridge to make it your own. Corn, diced red peppers or capsicum, olives, cucumber, anything!
You can even throw some rotisserie chicken or canned tuna in there for a fulfilling meal. Whichever way you go, you won’t be disappointed.
MORE CHICKPEA RECIPES
Greek Chickpea Salad
Avocado Chickpea Tuna Salad Recipe
Balsamic Chickpea Avocado Feta Salad
Lamb and Chickpea Salad
Chickpea Tomato Salad
- 28 oz 800g canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (about 3 cups)
- 7 oz grape tomatoes 200g, quartered (or cherry, Roma, vine-ripened tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley fresh and crisp leaves if possible
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, (from 1-2 lemons)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- Grab a large salad bowl and add in chickpeas, tomatoes, parsley and red onion.
- For the dressing, combine together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs. Season with salt and pepper, adjust to your taste. Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture; toss to evenly coat.
- Serve immediately.
I loooove your recipes..so easy but absolutely delicious. We loved this salad…quick to put together!!Family fav now!!
Bobby Blackwell says
Made this last weekend…making it again for friends. So good
Can this work with dried parsley? I have everything except fresh.
Making this tonight! My only tweaks will be related to the onion I currently have on hand, and I love, love, love lemon zest, so I’ll be incorporating that into the dressing. So excited to have this and pork loin with your chimichurri recipe.