Italian Herb Prime Rib Roast is the perfect Christmas lunch or dinner, full of flavour and ready in under one hour!
Ready in under one hour? Yes. I know, it’s possible I’ve broken a few traditional rib roast cardinal rules cooking it in under one hour. However, this is how we have always cooked our roast, and it’s well worth it, with hardly any effort whatsoever.
As long as the end result is a juicy piece of meat, tender and falling apart in your mouth, that’s all that really matters. Right?
The only thing this beautiful piece of meat requires is to be roasted uncovered first for that char-grilled coated flavour, and then continue roasting, covered until your roast is cooked to your liking. As you can see, the only way we love ours is medium rare. However, you CAN continue roasting to get it to your own liking and preference.
From here, serve this Italian Herb Prime Rib Roast with these delicious Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes, this Mac and Cheese, or these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes for an easy Christmas lunch or dinner!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 6 pounds | 3 kg standing rib roast (4 bone rib roast)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons dried Italian herbs / seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450˚F | 230°C for at least 30 minutes while the prime rib comes to room temperature.
- Place the roast in a cast iron skillet or roasting pan bone-side down. The bones create a natural roasting rack for the meat.
- Cook the roast for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375°F | 190°C. Cover with foil and continue to cook the roast to your preference of doneness (until your meat thermometer reads 110°F | 43°C). For the pictured roast, we cooked it for 45 minutes, covered.
- Once cooked to your liking, allow to rest for 20 minutes. The roast will continue to cook as the juices inside settle, raising the internal temperature to 130°F | 55°C for a perfect medium-rare prime rib.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.