Orange Poppy Seed Pancakes
Craving cake? Save time and whip these up for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast… Fluffy pancakes flavoured with natural orange juice and zest to give the best flavour with poppy seeds, drizzled with an orange infused maple syrup. So simple, yet so satisfying.
Oh pancakes…how you complete me. Especially with your orange zest-sexiness.
Walking through a maze of stores to get to the supermarket, I ran into a coffee shop full of Orange Poppy Seed Muffins. They looked absolutely amazing and the image of them hasn’t left the cob-webed corners of my brain long enough to forget them.
So I woke up this morning killing for those muffins. Dying even. Remembering the fluffiness…the cake-i-ness, and the dizzying orange smell coming from the coffee shop of fresh made muffins. And coffee.
I guess it’s safe to say then, that this little experiment was everything my heart and hormones were craving this a.m.
This perfect stack of pancakes could kick any cake or muffin to the curb. And the best part was not having to wait an hour cake-baking time to stuff our faces and eat like well-behaved people that we really ain’t.
For days I’ve been wondering why the hell I had poppy seeds in my cupboard. I’m more the number one fan of buying these types of cakes and muffins from — ummm, well — coffee shops. Not baking them.
Well not ne’more.
This.stack.was.the.shit and totally rocked our socks.
The batter was purposely thick and creamy to create the fluffiest pancakes I’ve ever seen. And it worked.
But, if I do say so myself, the simple-to-make-it-only-took-2-seconds orange syrup was the genius piece of this concoctional puzzle. I know, not a word in the English dictionary, but it is on my blog.
I break all the rules over here.
And if you’re like my kids and don’t love poppy seeds, well hey, I added theirs with chocolate chips and now I am the besets friend. For today anyway, or for now — until they have to
- clean their rooms
- pick up their dirty clothes off the floor
- unstack the dishwasher
- make their beds
And I kicked the craving to the curb, but lucky for me I saved/hid (no difference) a couple pancakes where no one can find ’em for tomorrows breakfast.
Insert evil laugh here. Or maybe a smart persons laugh.
Weight Watchers: 2pp per pancake!
- ¾ cup wholemeal self raising flour (or whole wheat flour)
- ¾ cup white self raising flour (or white plain/all purpose)
- ¼ cup raw sugar or natural sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (use 3 teaspoons baking powder if using all purpose flour(s)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup low fat/light butter, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- First, prepare syrup by combining maple syrup and zest in a jug, cup or bowl, and set aside to allow orange flavours to infuse through syrup. Prepare pancakes:
- Combine the flour/s, sweetener/sugar and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add egg, butter, milk and juice. Mix into the flour to combine. Fold through zest and poppy seeds but don't over beat the batter
- Cook on a nonstick pan/skillet using ¼ cup batter per pancake until golden, and flip.
- Repeat with remaining batter until all pancakes are cooked.
- Serve with prepared orange syrup, frozen yoghurt, ice cream, etc!
© 2014 Cafe Delites. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
© 2014 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.