Easy Mozzarella Chicken is a low carb dream!
Seasoned chicken simmered in a homemade tomato sauce and topped with melted mozzarella cheese. The BEST Easy Mozzarella Chicken recipe that happens to be exactly what it claims to be… EASY! A 20-minute Low Carb Chicken Parmesan WITH NO BREADING! You don’t even MISS a crispy crumb on this chicken…it is SO good!
A step up from my original Mozzarella Chicken with a 3-ingredient sauce , this one is ten times better. It’s all about the homemade tomato sauce filled with so much flavour!
Chicken Parmesan — LOW CARB
Unlike my original recipe of using jarred pasta or marinara sauce on a rushing-to-get-dinner-on-the-table kind of day, this recipe uses a tomato sauce made from scratch. We are only adding 5 extra minutes of cooking time in this recipe, and honestly, it’s well worth it when you get a beautiful, rich sauce soaking into your chicken breasts to make them that much more succulent and tasty.
How To Make Mozzarella Chicken
You are 5 simple steps away form the BEST Mozzarella Chicken!
- Season chicken
- Sear then remove
- Make sauce in the same pan
- Add chicken back into the pan, top with cheese
- Broil (or grill for those of us Aussies!)
The secret totally lies in the 5 major ingredients in this sauce. So much better than store bought stuff!
- Onion (or a brown shallot)
- Garlic (because you know me by now)
- Fire roasted peppers (YES! They add an AMAZING flavour to this sauce! If you can’t get them, use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil — oil drained)
- Crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned — you can also use a tomato puree or Passata)
- Tomato paste — I use garlic and herb flavoured. Don’t skip this, it makes your sauce nice and thick.
- Pinch of red pepper flakes for a nice and subtle flavour bomb
Easy Chicken Recipe
The recipe includes broiling the cheese at the end for a nice crisp, golden and bubbling cheese result. If you don’t want to turn on your oven, you can throw a lid on your pan and allow the cheese to melt that way while simmering on the stove. I prefer broiling (our grilling for Aussies), because you can’t beat the result crispy melted mozzarella cheese!
After More Mozzarella Recipes?
Easy Mozzarella Chicken (Low Carb Chicken Parma)
- 4 5-ounce (150 gram) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, (to season)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 fire roasted pepper, ((fire roasted capsicum), chopped)
- 15- ounces 425 grams crushed tomatoes, (OR tomato puree (Passata))
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, (garlic and herb flavoured if possible)
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (OPTIONAL)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, (to garnish)
- Arrange oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat broiler (or grill in Australia) on medium heat.
- Season chicken with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 8 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Cook the onion in the same pan until transparent (about 3-4 minutes) scraping any browned bits form the bottom of the pan, then add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the fire roasted pepper (or capsicum), crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes (if including) and remaining Italian seasoning. Give it a good stir to mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken while stirring occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Arrange the chicken in the sauce and top each breast with 2-3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese per breast. Transfer to the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese in browned and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.