Easy Mozzarella Chicken is a low carb dream!
Seasoned chicken simmered in a homemade tomato sauce and topped with melted mozzarella cheese. The BEST Easy Mozzarella Chicken recipe that happens to be exactly what it claims to be… EASY! A 20-minute Low Carb Chicken Parmesan WITH NO BREADING! You don’t even MISS a crispy crumb on this chicken…it is SO good!
A step up from my original Mozzarella Chicken with a 3-ingredient sauce , this one is ten times better. It’s all about the homemade tomato sauce filled with so much flavour!
Chicken Parmesan — LOW CARB
Unlike my original recipe of using jarred pasta or marinara sauce on a rushing-to-get-dinner-on-the-table kind of day, this recipe uses a tomato sauce made from scratch. We are only adding 5 extra minutes of cooking time in this recipe, and honestly, it’s well worth it when you get a beautiful, rich sauce soaking into your chicken breasts to make them that much more succulent and tasty.
How To Make Mozzarella Chicken
You are 5 simple steps away form the BEST Mozzarella Chicken!
- Season chicken
- Sear then remove
- Make sauce in the same pan
- Add chicken back into the pan, top with cheese
- Broil (or grill for those of us Aussies!)
The secret totally lies in the 5 major ingredients in this sauce. So much better than store bought stuff!
- Onion (or a brown shallot)
- Garlic (because you know me by now)
- Fire roasted peppers (YES! They add an AMAZING flavour to this sauce! If you can’t get them, use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil — oil drained)
- Crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned — you can also use a tomato puree or Passata)
- Tomato paste — I use garlic and herb flavoured. Don’t skip this, it makes your sauce nice and thick.
- Pinch of red pepper flakes for a nice and subtle flavour bomb
Easy Chicken Recipe
The recipe includes broiling the cheese at the end for a nice crisp, golden and bubbling cheese result. If you don’t want to turn on your oven, you can throw a lid on your pan and allow the cheese to melt that way while simmering on the stove. I prefer broiling (our grilling for Aussies), because you can’t beat the result crispy melted mozzarella cheese!
After More Mozzarella Recipes?
Mozzarella Meatballs In Tomato Sauce (Cheesy Meatballs)
Caprese Stuffed Balsamic Chicken
Skillet Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
Easy Mozzarella Chicken (Low Carb Chicken Parma)
- 4 5-ounce (150 gram) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fire roasted pepper, (fire roasted capsicum), chopped
- 15- ounces 425 grams crushed tomatoes, OR tomato puree (Passata)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, garlic and herb flavoured if possible
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes OPTIONAL
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Arrange oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat broiler (or grill in Australia) on medium heat.
- Season chicken with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 8 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Cook the onion in the same pan until transparent (about 3-4 minutes) scraping any browned bits form the bottom of the pan, then add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the fire roasted pepper (or capsicum), crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes (if including) and remaining Italian seasoning. Give it a good stir to mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken while stirring occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Arrange the chicken in the sauce and top each breast with 2-3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese per breast. Transfer to the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese in browned and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
This was one of the most delicious meals I cooked, ever! Thank you so much.
This is gonna be my go-to meal when I crave pizza!
Amazing, just amazing! I will be making this more often
Kelly Law says
How many net carbs is just the sauce?
Oh boy, I’ve just finished eating this and it was amazing!! I don’t know what is it about tomatoes, chicken and cheese, but it’s the greatest combination on the planet! I used almond meal instead of almond flour, but it still turned out great. Definitely doing this again.
Beccy Stokes says
Lovely recipe, but I have a query of some importance (to me), I note by the spelling of fibre that you use an American nutrition calculator, so, do we subtract the fibre from the 9 carbs to get the net carbs or is it actually 9 net carbs per portion?
owen owen owen says
Just finished eating this and it was spectacular!!!! Had a couple of changes though..
1. couldn’t cook for 8 minutes each side on my gas stove so i did 4mins each. wound up baking it in the over @ 350 for 12-15minutes with a layer of mozza over the sauce and chicken and covered it. Also didn’t have a medium broil setting so 2 another 2 minutes with more mozza sprinkled on top..
2. 1/8th of a tsp of organic dried cayenne pepper instead of the fire roasted pepper as we didn’t have one.
I’ve been looking for a cheese and chicken dish for some time now and this one is now officially in my rotation of yummy chicken recipes.
Thanks for sharing and also thanks of having the person/recipe converter.. 🙂
Thank you for this recipe! I just made it for me and the family. Everyone loved it and I will absolutely be making this again!!!
We loved this! Putting this down as a definite favorite for the family! Loved the simplicity of this ingredients and the ease of cooking the dish.
Michael Blakeborough says
Are these carb counts for this recipe net carbs or do I need to do my own calculation?
Just made this for my big 26 year old son and myself. He’s not on any low carb “diet” but I am. Loved it just the same. Easy to make as well.
shirin barghi says
This was amazing! Just made it for my husband and myself and we both loved it. Thank you so much for sharing!
I made this tonight and I love it! I certainly didn’t miss breading at all. I loved the tomato sauce and think it would be delicious with other things too. I look forward to trying other recipes of yours that are low carb or that I can adapt to low carb!
Well it was so delicious it made me post my first ever comment lol even my hard-to -impress hubby cleaned the plate;)
My sauce was too thick so I’ve added a bit of chicken stock and it worked like charm
This was really good, I made it for my parents and my niece and nephew, 1 &2 years, everyone loved it and my mom didnt even notice that the chicken wasnt breaded! The homemade sauce was the best part. My 2 year old nephew rated it very tasty lol. However, it definitely took longer than 20-30 min to make lol closer to 45-55 min with the prep.
I can NOT rate this recipe high enough!! Excellent flavor, and oh, so easy!!! I made this last week and again tonight. This will definitely be in rotation at my dinner table. The sauce itself is to die for!! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent.
Was great flavors! But next time i will do twice the chicken or half the sauce. Also i mixed parmesan in the sauce, it was good
Emiley M Parsley says
Anyone know exactly how many carbs this has?
Please refer to the nutrition information located in the recipe box. 9 carbs.
6g net carbs
This recipe was a hit! No leftovers what so ever. Will definitely be making again!
I plan on making this recipe on the weekend but I do not know what ‘1 fire roasted pepper, chopped’ is. I am in the US, could you explain what that is? Thank you!
Just chopping a roasted pepper that is spicy. You will cook the pepper over a flame/grill to get the burnt look and taste. Hope that helps! XO
I know this is a year later but you can buy them in a jar/can. My grocery has a few different flavors, usually by the pickles and such. Made this myself last night, no leftovers! Really didn’t make enough as everyone in the house ate it!
tina adams says
I have never commented on a recipe before but I have to say this was absolutely delicious! Are used sun-dried tomatoes because I couldn’t find the peppers but the flavor is amazing and I bought tomato paste but I couldn’t find it when the time came up so I didn’t even use tomato paste can only imagine how much better it’s going to taste when I throw in some tomato paste
Made as directed. It was so good. I served it with angel hair pasta. There was plenty of sauce. I look forward to making more of your recipes. Thank you!
I just made this for dinner. It was great and i will be making it again. So good i think I’ll post it to my Facebook.
I’ve been following you for a year or more now, love, love, love all the recipes I’ve tried. I was searching for a keto recipe to try for dinner and your low carb park popped up. Experience tells me I need look no further so were making this tonight. How did I miss you’re a fellow Aussie until now? Knowing that you know how great our food is down under explains why your recipes are always so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing xo
AWE! Thank you sweets! That is so nice of you! I am so glad that you found me and I appreciate you following along with me for so long! I am grateful for all the love and support! XOXO
I made this for dinner tonight. All I changed was to cut up my chicken in chunks. I don’t know what a fire roasted pepper is so I just bought a jar of roasted red peppers. I doubled the sauce ingredients because I could only find a large can of crushed tomatoes. Then I mixed in a small spaghetti squash. It was amazing and my husband (who has been crabby because of our journey into healthy eating) loved it. I will never buy jarred sauce again.
Chicken cooked perfectly, delicious sauce that doesn’t just taste like tomatoes, and plenty of delicious cheese! This one is going in the rotation for sure!
I only have roasted red peppers in a jar… How much should I use? Do I drain them?
That sounds great! I would drain them and if they are large I would cut them up, otherwise throw them in the pan! How yummy! Enjoy!
Hi Karina! This is THE BEST RECIPE EVER!? I am so excited to eat probably to excited that I don’t even want to wait for my family to get home to eat. I am soooo proud of myself and you have given me the confidence to cook again of course with the help of your recipes. The recipe was so easy to follow. Easy mozzarella chicken…mmm mmm good! You are the best! Thank you!
That is so great to hear! Thank you so much for sharing with me and following along with me! I am so proud of you too and I hope you are able to find more recipes that you love on my site! Thanks so much!
I am looking to start my own restrant here soon so trying out all these recipes to see what might go good in the restrant being a 4 star comfert specialty food
That is great! Congratulations on starting your own restaurant! I hope everything goes well for you. Don’t forget to give credit to those recipes that you are using though;)!!
Elaine San Martin says
I tried two of your dinners and they came out very delicious.
If subistuting tbe fire roasted pepper for roasted peppers in oil , how much to use ?
Hi Karina! This Mozzarella Chicken is making my mouth water! It sure looks & sounds delicious, and I can’t wait to fix it!! I was wondering about the Chicken. Do you both broil and pan fry it? Step 2) “Season chicken with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 8 minutes, then flip and season other side.
Step 3) Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 8 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.” Thanks for sharing your recipe 🙂 Love your Blog!