The ultimate pie! CHURRO Apple Pie Bowls: where TWO desserts become one! Apple pie filling is served in real Churro donut bowls instead of the traditional pie pastry, and drizzled with an easy, homemade caramel sauce, to make the most incredible pie!
Churro Apple Pie Bowls is the perfect way to eat an apple pie with a hint of that amazing churro flavour!
Wait. Do you hear that? I think I hear harps, and angels, and the voices of so many people on my food level loving this creation. So, you may be asking yourselves, what did I do? Well, if you’re asking, and you’re looking for an answer, I think what I did is make the holy grail of all desserts.
Basically, the way I describe all of the creations I come up with is: I wanted one thing PLUS another thing, and decided to fuse those things into ONE THING to make the most epic thing ever tasted. Did I lose you?
Out of all the Churro Recipes on this blog…….this one is my favourite. Oh wait, there were those Red Velvet Churros. AND those Nutella Churro Donut Holes. Well, these are right up there with those.
It all started with Churros and the most exaggerated craving known to human existence. THEN, to make it worse, apple pies have been flooding my world all over the place. I stood in my kitchen with that dilemma. Churros? Apple Pie? PIE? CHURROS?
What to do….. WHAT.TO.DO?!
Churro Apple Pie Bowls. And here we are.
First, you’re going to start off making these Churro Bowls.
THEN you’re going to make this incredibly easy and delicious apple pie filling, filled with cinnamon and nutmeg and apple pie flavours. OR you’re going to use store bought filling. Totally up to you.
THEN….you’re going to either
1) Use a store bought caramel sauce and live a content, yet, fulfilled caramel moment
2) Make your own caramel sauce and live your life on the edge. Apparently, I choose to live my life on the edge.
Proceed to fill your cups with apple pie goodness…….
And, well, smother with all things apple pie. Churro Apple Pie Bowls are a win-win in my book.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Churro Apple Pie Bowls + Caramel Sauce
The ultimate pie! CHURRO Apple Pies: where TWO desserts become one! Apple pie filling is served in Churro bowls instead of the traditional pie pastry, and drizzled with an easy, homemade caramel sauce, to make the most incredible dessert!
- 6 Churro Bowls (using this recipe)
Apple Pie Filling: (or use store bought)
- 5 large apples (red or granny smith -- your choice), diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
Easy Caramel Sauce: (or use store bought)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup thickened cream (or heavy cream)
- While Churros are baking, prepare apple pie filing: combine apples into a medium-sized saucepan with the lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together until lump free. Pour the mixture into a medium-sized heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Quickly add in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and whisk again to combine. Bring to a boil while whisking continuously, until mixture begins to thicken. Add in the diced apple, give them a quick stir through the mixture; reduce heat down to low and cover pan with a lid. Allow to cook, covered, for about 8-10 minutes, while stirring occasionally, until soft. Apples should be soft but not mushy.
- Take off the heat completely while covered with the lid, and allow to cool down to room temperature.
- Fill each Churro Cup / Bowl with the apple pie filling; top with ice cream (optional), and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Easy Caramel Sauce
- Combine brown sugar and heavy cream into a small-medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar is just beginning to melt through the cream. Add the butter; allow it to melt completely and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the sauce thickens, (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat; allow to cool slightly (t will continue to thicken while cooling down), and drizzle over Apple Pie Churros.
Loved these! So easy to make and the apple filling + caramel sauce were to die for. Family loved them and want me to make it again!
3 words! To die for …oh my they’re so delicious..
Can i do the churro bowls in advance?
Hi Anna! Yes you can! Freeze them once they are done if you’re not preparing them straight away!
These look amazing! I would love to serve them to my family this Thanksgiving . Can you tell me if they can be prepared in advance?
This looks amazing! I definitely want to try this!
Thanks Samantha! I hope you do!
Nisha @ Honey What's Cooking says
Hi Karina. I left a comment last week but I think something is wrong with my url link and all. And so I’m writing this again. I just wanted to say that I recently found you on Instagram and I love your work. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful and your recipes are so creative. Your story is beyond inspirational.. you are so strong. I look forward to following your blog and more creative recipes! <3
Thank you so much Nisha!
It needs to be said. You’re a genius. I’m pulling these out of the oven and they worked! My house smells like fall. The apple pie filling is to die for too. Got my churro fix and my pie fix all in one. And they’re so crispy! But I have to say, I made these bowls the first you you posted them and they stuck to the pan which I thought was from the type of spray I used. Using butter to grease them is so much better! Thanks for the tip Karina! Can’t wait for the video! Now to try not to eat them all.
You made these already?! Ohmygod Bianca I’m so happy to hear that, and I’m so glad you tried the butter with the pans. I know it’s much easier getting them out. Ah you just made my day! I’m making them again today just because the kids ate them all ?? And because of your comment! Haha. Enjoy your weekend!
Bethany @ Athletic Avocado says
HOLY COW! churro bowls with apple pie filling? Best. Recipe . Ever! This is soooo genius and dreamy girl!
Aw Bethany thank you!! And so addictive!