A Chicken Shawarma Salad served on flatbreads, with a 4-ingredient garlic sauce as a dressing! Easy to make and full of Shawarma flavor!
This LOADED salad satisfies every Shawarma craving without needing to go anywhere! The chicken is smothered in Shawarma flavour and spices — juicy, tender and slightly charred like true Shawarma meats!
Similar to a Doner Kebab for us in Australia, this very popular Middle Eastern street food is normally stacked and cooked on a vertical spit for hours, while basting and dripping in its own juices and fat. Slices of meat are shaved off from the block of meat and rolled inside a warm flatbread, mixed with lettuce, tomato and onion, and topped with garlic sauce or tahini.
Shawarma = food for the soul.
Making it at home is so easy and simple, without ending a vertical spit! The spices in this paste/marinade come together so quickly, and while grilling your chicken, fills your house with all of those beautiful Shawarma smells.
The chicken can be left to marinade overnight OR after a couple of hours if short on time.
Then, the real kick is this garlic yogurt sauce. I usually drown my rolls in so much garlic sauce with a hint of tahini, and I knew it would be an essential part to this salad.
The difference with this salad to others is we are serving it on warmed flatbreads. Can I just say,. the juices from the chicken PLUS the tomatoes AND the garlic sauce begin soaking into the bread, that when you’re finished eating your salad, you’re left with soft wraps dripping in flavour. Gah! The BEST part!
You guys will LOVE this salad!
MORE SALADS YOU WILL LOVE:
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers Smart Points Per Serve: 10
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper (or red chili powder) -- optional
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 4 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt to season
- 3 flatbreads or wraps of your choice (I used white flour)
- In a shallow bowl, mix all of the Chicken Shawarma ingredients together until formed into a well combined paste. Completely coat the chicken and allow to marinade for two hours or overnight, if time allows. (The longer the chicken is marinading, the better and more intense the flavour).
- When ready to cook, heat a cast iron pan or grill pan (or bbq grill plate), to medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil, and grill or sear the chicken on both sides until cooked through and slightly charred around the edges.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare flatbreads: heat a larger pan over low-medium heat and warm flatbreads until golden on each side and warmed through. Arrange onto serving plate.
- Top the flatbreads with the salad ingredients and ightly toss salad.
- Prepare garlic yoghurt sauce: Mix the yogurt together with the garlic, lemon juice and salt to season.
- Once chicken is cooked, slice and place on salad. Drizzle salad with the garlic sauce and serve.
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.