Churro Nutella Christmas Tree is a stunning 5-ingredient centrepiece for your Christmas dessert table!
Churro meets the most popular Christmas dessert this year with this original Cafe Delites creation! Chocolate hazelnut Nutella is baked between two sheets of puff pastry, brushed with melted butter, then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar for the BEST and closest Churro tasting tree without any of the effort of making your own Churro dough, or bursting any piping bags. WIN.
Just like these Nutella Churro Donut Holes, this tree is gonna knock your Nutella lovin’ socks off.
You may have seen these Christmas Tree’s ALL OVER THE INTERNET by now. And if you haven’t? Welcome to the most easiest pastry on planet Earth.
This tree ticks off all the boxes you want on a hectic Christmas morning:
- Easy to make ✓
- Minimal ingredients ✓
- No chilling or rolling dough (or in this case pastry) ✓
- Have fun while you make it ✓
- STRESS FREE! ✓
How To Make A Churro Nutella Christmas Tree?
- Cut out your pastry into a tree shape, careful not to cut through your parchment paper if that’s what you’re using. Lay 2 frozen puff pastry sheets on top of each other and cut through them to get 2 of the same tree. Don’t have them sitting on top of each other for too long though, or they will soften into each other and are extremely difficult to peel apart!
- The MOST crucial step in this recipe is to lay your pastry on parchment paper or a Silpat mat like the one pictured below after you’ve cut out your tree outline (before the branches are cut).
- Take the top pastry off and spread the bottom sheet Nutella.
Ahhhhh, Nutella. The most sinful spread in the universe. If you don’t want to use store bought, you can use this homemade version instead!
Cutting your branches:
- Through lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of trial and error, (I mean, you should see the amount of trees we made, and how BAD they turned out the first TEN TIMES), I can tell you that the thicker you cut your ‘branches’, the better the end result. We preferred ours to be 1-inch wide. YES I measured. And YES OCD. By this stage, your pastry will have started to soften, making cutting so much easier. Just be patient and careful not to rip the pastry when lifting your knife out of these cuts.
- Twist your branches around twice if you can, and lightly press the ends into your baking sheet or mat.
- Make your star with a star-shaped cookie cutter, then sandwich with Nutella, because, Nutella. Place it at the top and BOOM! Christmas Tree.
Once it’s baked and all shiny and golden, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. WOW ’em all!
Serve it with Nutella, so your friends and family can rip off those branches and dunk them right in.
WATCH US MAKE THE Churro Nutella Christmas Tree RIGHT HERE!
More Christmas Desserts!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Churro Nutella Christmas Tree is a stunning 5-ingredient centrepiece for your Christmas dessert table! The BEST Churro tasting tree without any of the effort of making your own Churro dough!
AN ORIGINAL CAFE DELITES CREATION!
- 2 sheets puff pastry, semi-frozen
- 2 tablespoons 50g nutella
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar (or 1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
Cut out both puff pastry sheets in the shape of a Christmas tree. Evenly spread Nutella on one sheet of pastry. Place the other cut out sheet of puff pastry on top.
Transfer to baking sheet. Cut slits on both sides spacing them about 1-inch apart (or about 2 cm), leaving the centre intact.
Twist each strip of pastry twice, pressing the ends into the baking sheet. Cut out two star shapes with the leftover pastry, spread one with Nutella and place the other on top like a sandwich. Place the star on the top of the tree.
Brush pastry with egg yolk mixed with a little water. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400°F | 200°C until golden.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Lightly brush pastry with the melted butter (you may not use it all), and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.