Cheesy Turkey Eggplant Cannelloni
This was one of those, “I don’t know what I’m doing but if I keep going maybe it’ll turn into something,” meals!
And to my surprise, it totally did.
My answer to guilt free and low carb cannelloni. Do you seeee the cheeeese?!?!
Ohhhhh the cheeeeseee!
Stuffing char-grilled eggplant slices with garlicky lean ground turkey mince and low fat mozzarella, and them grilling or broiling them with MORE mozzarella in a beautiful tomato sauce!! Pasta? WHAT PASTA?!
Didn’t need it with this beautiful rich meal. Honestly, I am a self-confessed pasta head, and this totally killed the craving.
Cheesy Turkey Eggplant Rolls
Feel free to double or quadruple the recipe for the amount of cannelloni you need!
- 1 large eggplant (mine weighed 500g each)
- Garlic oil cooking spray
- 1 onion , diced
- 250 g | 9oz lean ground turkey mince
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable stock powder ( I love Vegeta, but any stock powder will do)
- 1 tablespoon garlic seasoning/powder
- Salt to season
- 500 g jar of your favourite pasta sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup low fat grated mozzarella cheese , divided
- Preheat oven to grill/broil settings on heat 200C | 390F.
- Grease a small baking dish with oil spray.
- Cut eggplant lengthways into 8 1cm thick slices.
- Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium-high heat and spray with garlic olive oil. Panfry eggplant slices for 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and soft.
- When all slices are cooked, set aside.
- In the same pan, fry onions and turkey until cooked through. Add basil, stock powder, seasoning and salt.
- Pour half the pasta sauce (or crushed tomatoes) into prepared dish. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of turkey filling onto each eggplant slice and 1 tablespoon of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down into dish. Top with remaining pasta sauce/tomatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 10 - 20 minutes or until cheese is melty and golden