Clean Eating Strawberry Quinoa Kale Salad (By iFOODreal)
Hey guys. My name is Olena and I blog at iFOODreal about Clean Eating Recipes. Today I will be diluting Karina’s sea of Reese’s cookies, saucy chicken and gooey blondies with my vegan clean eating salad with quinoa, kale and strawberries. I hope I didn’t lose you right there because it might be a good way to detox your body before Karina comes up with another irresistible oooey – gooey dessert!
While I never baked a skillet cookie in my life (do you use stove top or oven? I have no idea!), I’m huge on salads! In the last few years, kale and quinoa made our life substantially easier in that department – now salad can be a superfood one meal in a blink of an eye. Especially after work when you are exhausted, dinner is not made and kids are driving you crazy. Kids quick dinners seem so easy – whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce, cut up veggies; for adults – I often turn to salads.
Naturally packed with protein, nutrients and cancer fighting flavonoids, kale and quinoa are a staple in my kitchen. Besides eating clean we try to consume a lot of plant-based foods. Kale makes amazing smoothies and it’s the only way I can make my kids eat kale. Quinoa doesn’t cease to amaze me, from falafel to breakfast, you can’t beat its 15 minute cooking time and nutrition profile. Having a stash of frozen cooked quinoa helps a lot to avoid starchy bread or pasta.
This Strawberry Quinoa Kale Salad literally takes 15 minutes to make. I made it for our “cream and butter” friends, my family and even my mom who at the age of 63 eats mostly plant-based due to health issues. Everyone loves this salad! It is sweet, crunchy and chewy. Strawberries with balsamic vinegar – can’t go wrong. I can’t say my kids were ecstatic but they ate it, strawberries and pasta helped a lot.:) It would be great for work if you refrigerate salad and dressing separately. Also feel free to use any greens, seeds or nuts you have on hand.
Enjoy and be healthy! I have included nutritional info with Weight Watchers Points for those who care below.
Clean Eating Strawberry Quinoa Kale Salad
- 2 cups quinoa , cooked
- 5 cups chopped kale (stalks removed) or any greens, packed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (optionally toasted)
- 1/2 cup strawberries , hulled and sliced
- 2 cups strawberries , thawed or fresh
- 2 - 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil , extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes (more to taste)
- Add quinoa, kale, sunflower seeds and strawberries to a large salad bowl. Toast sunflower seeds in a small skillet on low-medium heat until lightly brown, about 2 minutes (optional but tasty step). Stir frequently and watch closely not to burn. Transfer to a salad bowl.
- In a blender or small food processor, add *Strawberry Vinaigrette* ingredients and process until smooth. Pour over salad, gently stir and serve.
Dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and added to salad as needed.