Turkey Pesto and Garlic Meatballs
Okay people. Here’s an old recipe I pulled out of my Instagram trenches. Well, not really. More like: a few of my readers made these this week and reminded me of how GOOD these are.
Pesto and garlic infused Turkey meatballs…seared and browned before simmered in a rich and beautiful tomato sauce.
And they’re big. Served over a bed of Spelt spaghetti, just because we want to be healthy. Or healthy-er. Whatever.
These had me singing Push It better than Salt N Pepa. The most perfect balls you will ever see in your face.
These meatballs are so tender and soft on the inside; not dry like most meatballs can be. With a mixture of spices, every bite is guaranteed a hint of Pesto flavour.
They make 18 balls– ok wait. Am I the only one that hears laughing Minions talking about Balls? It’s like, on repeat in my head.
Anyway…sear them until they’re nice and browned; then simmer them in this sauce until they’re just cooked through.
Smell the Pesto-ey aromas drifting through your kitchen. Don’t dip your fingers in like I did and give yourselves 2 million percent burns. It’s not funny.
Just hold off and garnish them with parmesan cheese and parsley. Toss the sauce through your spaghetti…
And take a good hard long look at the beautiful dish in front of you….
…because it won’t last long before your hear everyone around you sucking in noodles and stuffing their faces with the best balls they’ve ever eaten in their lifetime times 50.
Do you see them? Absolutely one of the best meatball recipes I’ve ever done…and tried.
I have never.ever.begged you to make anything on here. Even with all the Nutella recipes in the world..I’ve never pushed anything on you. Until now.
Even if you don’t like Pesto, I don’t care. These will change your life.
You know what would be cool? An eating.through.the.screen.computer.app.
Weight Watchers: 7pp per serve! (3 Meatballs incl. sauce)
- 1kg | 2lbs lean ground turkey mince
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (or almond meal for lower carb)
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons traditional basil pesto
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 heaping teaspoons paprika (sweet or smokey)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional but gives them a nice kick)
- Salt to season (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1x 500g | 17oz jar pasta sauce of choice (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1x 420g | 15oz can condensed tomato soup (or Passata / Tomato Sauce for U.S readers)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan, to serve
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large sized bowl. Shape into meatballs (I made 18 meatballs about 2-inches in diameter).
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking oil spray or grease with a drizzle of olive oil and pan fry meatballs until underside is golden. Turn them and cook until browned on both sides.
- Pour in tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes) and the tomato soup (or passata/sauce). Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Simmer on low heat for 10 - 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese, and serve over spaghetti or quinoa or rice!
© 2015 – 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.