Huevos Rancheros Tortizza (Tortilla Pizza)
Huevos Rancheros…meet pizza. He’s probably one of the best things to have happened to you. Well, today any way.
The classic Huevos Rancheros baked on Tortillas…in the oven…with melty cheese on top. This was THE best and ultimate breakfast for a Sunday morning.
This Salsa is a little more rustic rather than the normal pureed salsa that goes with Huevos Rancheros, but you can puree your salsa or use store bought. But…this salsa took this pizza right back to the rustic place I’ve been searching for.
With egg craters. Aka salsa rings to fit the eggs.
The only thing missing was a Mariachi band to sing me some Boleros…actually scratch that to Antonio Banderas playing some sexy guitar strumming Desperado music in those tight leather pants….never mind. I need a Tequila.
This masterpiece right here only required 5 minutes of steaming salsa — with myself — before turning the music down to make this ↓ salsa, and 10 minutes later my kitchen had the aromas of a Mexican kitchen.
And melted cheese. Oh that cheese! Oozing all down the sides of this perfect breakfast pizza! The highlight of my Sunday.
If you like your eggs on the runny yolk side, I recommend baking this Tortizza just until the egg whites became opaque, because they do continue to cook in the salsa surrounding them. Busting them open you find the best gift. Perfectly runny egg porn.
Of course to keep the porn theme going, I topped it with red chilli flakes, creamy avocado slices, roasted cherry tomatoes and crispy bacon pieces. I wanted Chorizo over it, but the family won. You really can top this with whatever your mouth is asking for.
Happy Sunday everyone!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- ½ red capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped OR ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced with their juice (or 1x 400g | 14oz can crushed tomatoes)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro/coriander, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetables stock powder (or salt to season)
- 2 large flour tortillas of choice
- ½ cup Refried Beans (Optional)
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 rashers shortcut bacon, diced OR 2 chorizos, casings removed, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro/coriander leaves to garnish
- Sour cream (or Greek yogurt) to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C | 356F.
- In a large pan/skillet, fry the onion, garlic, capsicum and jalapeño (or chilli flakes). Fry until onion becomes transparent and the other vegetables have softened (about 4 minutes). Add the tomatoes and cilantro/coriander, and allow to gently simmer until the tomato juice begins to reduce down. Season with the stock powder, or salt to taste.
- Grease an oven tray with olive oil or cooking oil spray (or line with baking/parchment paper).
- Place the 2 tortillas on top of each other onto the tray. Spread with the refried beans (if using). Pour the tomato salsa over the top and create 4 'holes' in the salsa for the eggs to sit (as pictured above).
- Gently crack the eggs into these holes; sprinkle the top of the pizza with cheese, and place into the oven (on the middle shelf). Bake for 15 minutes, or until the egg whites begin to whiten.
- Change the oven settings to grill/broil on medium heat; continue cooking for a further 5-10 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. (If you like your egg yolk runny, take the pizza out while they're a little under as they will continue cooking in the salsa).
- Top with (optional) avocado pieces, bacon (or chorizo) pieces, fresh coriander, and serve with sour cream (or greek yogurt).
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.