Easy Grilled Satay Shrimp Skewers smothered in the BEST 10 minute peanut sauce with minimal effort and maximum taste!
Usually, a good Satay is served as a beef or chicken dish, like this Easy Satay Chicken, BUT who can resist jumbo-sized shrimp smothered in a cheats version of a Thai-style peanut sauce? This would have to be one of the best ways to eat a shrimp! And the SAUCE alone! You WILL be drinking it out of the bowl! Guaranteed.
These skewers have been on a rotation every three to four days over here, they are THAT addictive. Never mind the icy cold tornado that’s happening outside my window as I type out this post, and the miracle forecast of snow that’s apparently going to hit us. It’s summer-time happenings in my kitchen.
The best part of this recipe is the sauce that takes minutes to prepare and seconds to get through. Not only is it used as the dipping sauce BUT also the pre-coating! There is no need to make up two different batches of two different kinds of sauces to get the same result at the end. Have I lost you? Do you see how thick and creamy THAT sauce is?! Yes, question mark AND exclamation point present.
There is so much flavour happening already with the sauce alone just coating your shrimp that there’s no need to marinade them. I mean, you can if you really want too. My patience, however, is non-existent when cooking these. Hence the no marinading time 😁.
Remove 4 tablespoons of sauce to use as the ‘basting’ sauce 👆 , and smother your skewers in even more flavour. Then, once they’re cooked, serve with cilantro leaves, crushed peanuts, lemon wedges and sliced red chillies to get the full Thai experience. As you can probably tell, one picture is with metal skewers and one is with wooden skewers. Like I said, weekly rotations over here, and more than likely, over where you are too now.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 batch of THIS Satay Dipping Sauce
- 600 g | 1.3 pounds jumbo-sized shrimp, washed and deveined, tails on or off
- coriander leaves, to serve
- crushed peanuts, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- If using wooden skewers, soak 8 skewers in water for 30 minutes to reduce sticks burning over the heat.
- Prepare the Satay Dipping Sauce using this recipe. Once slightly thickened, take off heat and allow to cool slightly. Pour out 4 tablespoons of satay sauce into a large, shallow dish. Add the shrimp and coat evenly.
- Preheat grill to medium / high heat, OR alternatively, heat a grill pan on stove top over medium heat.
- Skewer 4 shrimp on each prepared skewer; arrange on a baking tray / sheet until ready to cook. Pour 2-4 more tablespoons of sauce over each skewer, rotating in the sauce to completely cover the shrimp.
- Pour out about 4 tablespoons of sauce into a bowl for basting. Grill skewers for about 2-3 minutes per side, basting with all of the separated sauce from the bowl before rotating, until just cooked through and no longer transparent. (Be careful not to overcook them or they become rubbery).
- Transfer onto serving plates and serve with the untouched dipping sauce. Garnish with cilantro leaves, peanuts, lime wedges and chilli slices!
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.