Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan
Oven Baked Low Carb Chicken Parmesan tastes just like a classic Parmigiana without the carb-loaded guilt. Simple to make with a crispy Keto coating, you'll be adding this Chicken Parmesan recipe back into your Keto diet! Smothered in a rich homemade tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese!
Servings: 4 serves
- 1 pound 500g chicken breasts, (2 large breasts)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 eggs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour, (not almond meal)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 26 oz (750g) marinara sauce* (SEE NOTES TO MAKE SAUCE FROM SCRATCH))
- 8 oz (250g) fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, OPTIONAL
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil or parsley
Using a fork or tongs, pick up one of the chicken breast pieces and allow excess egg wash to drip off. Dredge in the parmesan mixture, pressing chicken lightly into the coating with the back of the fork, then turn and repeat. Shake off excess coating and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
Heat oil and butter in a large NON-STICK skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry 2 chicken pieces at a time UNTOUCHED for (about 4 minutes). Do not move chicken around as the coating may peel off of the surface of the chicken before it gets a chance to stick!
Once the coating is crispy, golden and set, flip and continue frying on other side until golden and cooked through.
Repeat with remaining chicken breast.
Arrange oven rack to the middle of your oven. Preheat oven broiler (grill) to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease a baking dish with non stick cooking oil spray.
Spread half of the marinara over the base of a lightly greased baking dish. Sprinkle with red chili flakes (if using) and arrange chicken over the sauce in a single layer. Spread remaining sauce over each chicken breast.
Top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Broil (or grill) for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted and the chicken is completely cooked through.Sprinkle with chopped basil or parsley to serve.
To check if your chicken is golden on the underside, give it a gentle push with a spatula after 3 minutes of cooking. If it moves or slides in the grease, use nonstick tongs to lift a corner of the breast to check. If golden, flip and repeat.
TO MAKE AHEAD:
*If time allows, marinate chicken overnight in the egg wash for a deeper flavour. Cover with wrap and refrigerate, then take it out at least 15 minutes before cooking to help get the chill out.
AIR FRYER METHOD:
You CAN totally air fry your chicken!
TO MAKE YOUR OWN SAUCE:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Spray crumbed chicken all over with olive oil spray.
- Place two chicken breasts in air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 7 minutes.
Flip the chicken breasts over. Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Air fry for a further 3-4 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), and cheese has melted.
Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 14 ounces (400 g) tomato puree (Passata)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute (optional)
- Red chili flakes
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry onion until transparent (about 3 minutes), then add the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste, Italian herbs, sugar substitute and a pinch of red chili flakes. Cover with lid to simmer for about 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve with our popular buttery cauliflower mash for the ultimate low carb meal!
Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g