Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Creamy Zuppa Toscana recipe, full of crumbled sausage, crispy bacon and tender potatoes in a creamy broth! Make this Olive Garden Soup right at home. Low carb option included!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 6 - 8 serves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian Sausage casings removed
- 4 oz (125 g) diced bacon
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine optional
- 1 1/2 quarts (1.5 litres) low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 Russet potatoes scrubbed, rinsed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices*
- 1 cube beef bouillon crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes optional — adjust to your taste
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or heavy/thickened cream
- 3 cups chopped kale hard stems removed (substitute with baby spinach leaves or Swiss chard)
- Fresh shredded parmesan cheese for serving
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional -- for a thicker soup) SEE NOTES
Fry the sausage in a heavy based pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat while breaking up the meat with the end of your wooden spoon. When browned, and cooked through (about 10 minutes), drain most of the oil, leaving about 1 teaspoon of drippings in the pot. Transfer sausage meat to a plate.
Cook the bacon in the same pot/Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy (about 10 minutes). Drain, leaving about 2 teaspoons of drippings in the pot. Transfer cooked bacon to the plate with the sausage meat.
Sauté onions in the pot and cook until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
OPTIONAL: Add the wine and let reduce to half (about 2 minutes).
Increase heat to high, pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Season broth with crushed bouillon, salt, pepper, fennel and chili flakes. Add the potatoes and boil until fork tender (about 10 minutes).
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the heavy cream, cooked sausage, bacon and kale. Let simmer for 2 minutes, until kale leaves have softened.
*For low carb option, replace potatoes with 1 head of cauliflower, chopped.
Cut potatoes into even pieces to ensure even cooking.
Chicken, turkey or beef sausages can be used.
Pancetta can be used instead of bacon.
For a thicker soup, mix cornstarch together with 2 tablespoons of cream. Mix well until free from lumps and add it in along with the cream. Give it a good stir while the soup is boiling until thickened. Then add in the cooked sausage, bacon and kale. Continue on with the recipe.
Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 576mg | Potassium: 981mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3580IU | Vitamin C: 52.6mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 3.3mg