Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy to make buttery Cornbread Dressing is LOADED with flavour! Deliciously moist, light and fluffy with a perfect crispy, golden crust.
Servings: 10 serves
- 1 batch cornbread
- 4 slices day old bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound (250 g) sage pork sausages casings removed and crumbled (optional -- substitute with chicken)
- 7 ounces (200 g) brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum) seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter melted
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Chop pre-baked cornbread into 1-inch pieces. Place into a large mixing bowl; set aside.
Heat half of the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the sausages over for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the cornbread.
In the same pan, add the remaining oil and add the mushrooms, onions, celery, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
Transfer mixture to the bowl with the cornbread. Add the stock and melted butter, mixing really well with a wooden spoon until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Pour the dressing into a 9x12-inch baking dish.
Cover with foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 438mg | Potassium: 360mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 570IU | Vitamin C: 8.2mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2.8mg