Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Easy Oven Baked Chicken And Rice With Garlic Butter Mushrooms mixed through is winner of a chicken dinner! Chicken thighs bake on top of buttery, garlicky, soft and tender rice with crispy edges. ALL the chicken flavours bake right in! Dinner doesn't get any easier!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 20 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon mild sweet paprika (or hot)
- 1 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, bone in or out
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
For Mushrooms (OPTIONAL)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 ounces (400g) button mushrooms quartered
- 1/4 cup chives, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F | 180°C.
In a shallow bowl, mix together the olive oil, parsley, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and coat each piece evenly with the seasoning. Set aside, allowing the flavours to absorb into the meat.
Spray a large baking dish (10-inch x 15-inch or 25 x 35 cm) with nonstick cooking oil spray. Add the onion, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, broth (or stock) and water into the dish. Stir well to combine and mix in the rice.
Arrange thighs in the water over the rice, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, spray chicken with oil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked right through to the bone and rice is soft. Change oven setting to broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the chicken and crisp rice.
Remove chicken thighs, mix the rice through, then arrange the chicken back on top of the rice. Cover and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes to set all of the flavours in the hot dish. The rice will finish off cooking while resting.
While chicken is resting, prepare mushrooms (OPTIONAL):Heat butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant (30 seconds) and add mushrooms; cook until softened. Stir in 2 tablespoons of chives and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer chicken onto a plate; fluff rice with forks,, then mix the mushrooms through the rice. Arrange chicken back onto the rice in the dish, garnish with remaining chives and chopped parsley. SERVE and enjoy!
- Bone-in chicken thighs bake in the same time as rice, which makes them the perfect cut of chicken for this recipe. They also guarantee juicy chicken pieces without drying out. There's nothing worse than dry chicken!
- Skin-OFF thighs work so much better when compared to skin-ON thighs! During testing, we found leaving the skin-on resulted in gluggy, sticky, half raw rice. Too much chicken fat seeped into the rice while baking.
- Chicken drumsticks can be used with skin on or off. Both work well.
- Arrange your chicken over the rice as the image above shows. We found chicken MUST be placed over the middle section of the rice to ensure the rice gets cooked. Leaving the middle uncovered resulted in a few raw grains.
- Long grain rice is the best rice to use and cooks evenly. Basmati rice or Jasmine rice can be substituted with the same liquid ratio and cooking time.
- Please do not use short grain rice, medium grain rice, risotto, paella or minute rice.
FOR BONELESS CHICKEN THIGHS AND BREASTS
- Add rice into the baking dish WITHOUT chicken. Cover with foil and bake rice in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, uncover and arrange chicken over the top. Return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked though and the liquid has absorbed. Rice should be soft. Continue with the recipe.
Calories: 513kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 1205mg | Potassium: 691mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2.3mg