Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes is the most loved and devoured side dish! The secret to this mash though is not an abundance of butter, but SOUR CREAM! Half butter, a good amount of sour cream and HOT MILK make the most perfect and best Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
Servings: 4 people (as a side dish)
- 2 pounds (1kg) potatoes, (Russet, Yukon Gold, Dutch Creams, Creme Gold, Creme Royale)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot milk, or more
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (close to room temp is best)
- 6-8 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley to garnish, optional to garnish
Peel and cut potatoes into quarters lengthwise. Remove any spots, lumps or knots.
Place potatoes in a large pot (6-quart) and cover with cold, salted water by an inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
When potatoes are just about done (nearly fork-tender), heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
Drain cooked potatoes, add in the remaining butter, cooked garlic, hot milk and sour cream.
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, adding a little extra milk if needed. (OPTIONAL: Use a strong wooden spoon OR electric beaters to beat further until smooth. Be careful NOT to over beat or they will become gluey.)
Add in the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 732mg | Potassium: 998mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 725IU | Vitamin C: 27.2mg | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 7.5mg