Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Best Lentil Soup
A classic hearty and filling lentil soup recipe to warm your soul! Pure comfort in a bowl. Naturally thick and loaded with healthy veggies, a simple soup to make! Just dump ingredients into a pot and let the stove do the cooking for you!
Servings: 8 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (just over 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups (13-14 ounces or 375-400 grams) dried green or brown lentils,
- 3 large tomatoes (or 4 small tomatoes), diced
- 2 medium-sized potatoes diced into 1-inch pieces, (Yukon gold if possible)
- 2 quarts (litres) or 8 cups low sodium chicken stock (or broth), divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder (such as Vegeta) or beef/chicken bullion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika sweet or mild (or 1 teaspoon smoky)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot over low-medium heat. Cook onion until transparent. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant (one minute). Add the carrot and celery and cook until softened (about 8 minutes).(If adding any meats, do so now and brown before continuing next step.)
Mix the lentils through the flavours in the pot, allowing them to cook for a couple of minutes, while stirring occasionally (add in 1 tablespoon of extra oil if needed).
Add in the tomatoes and cook until soft, then add the potatoes and allow them to cook for further 4-5 minutes.
Mix through all remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper. Increase heat; bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom.
When the soup has been simmering for 2-3 minutes, reduce heat down to low, cover with a lid allow simmer for 40-50 minutes, while occasionally stirring, until lentils and potatoes are soft.
To thicken soup, use a potato masher, pressing down 3 or 4 times through the soup until reaching your desired thickness or consistency. (You can also use a stick blender: 2-3 quick pulses.)
Season with salt and pepper, to your tastes. Garnish with a little extra parsley (if you wish) and serve with garlic bread!
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 120mg | Potassium: 846mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2030IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 5.7mg