Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Coconut Shrimp Curry
A flavour-filled shrimp curry with an aromatic coconut cream sauce cooks in no time from scratch! Forget jarred sauces....this sauce will have you licking your plates clean! Make an incredible dinner with minimal ingredients. You'll be surprised at how GOOD this curry is!
Servings: 4 serves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (or curry powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 pound (500g) peeled Jumbo-sized shrimp, tails on or off
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or curry powder
- 14 oz. (400g) can crushed tomatoes, or Passata for a smoother sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili powder, adjust to your taste preference
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 13.5 fl oz (400ml) can coconut milk, or coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, to garnish
For shrimp, combine spices in a bowl. Toss shrimp with the spices and 1 tablespoon of oil. Set aside.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear shrimp for only 1 minute on each side, then transfer shrimp to a plate. Set aside.
Heat remaining oil and butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Fry onion until soft (about 3 minutes), scraping up any browned bits left over from the shrimp on the bottom of the pan.
Add garlic and ginger; sauté until fragrant, about for 1 minute. Add in garam masala, cumin, ground coriander and turmeric (or curry powder). Cook stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
Add crushed tomatoes (or Passata), chili powder, salt, sugar and coconut milk/cream. Let simmer until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and let cook until the shrimp is fully cooked and warmed through, about 1 more minute.
Take off the heat immediately. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh garlic butter rice and homemade naan bread.
Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Fiber: 3g