Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Slow Cooker Creamy Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup
Slow Cooker Creamy Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup is comfort in a bowl! Almost like a Zuppa Toscana with low fat options and full fat flavours!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 12 serves
- 1 pound 500 grams ground hot Italian sausage, browned (or any other sausage -- chicken, pork, beef or turkey)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 5 cloves garlic (or 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 4 cups good-quality chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder, like Vegeta, (or chicken/beef bouillon powder — chicken adds better flavour)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, (adjust to your tastes)
- 1/3 teaspoon cracked black pepper, (adjust to your tastes)
- 600 ml (2 1/3 cups) evaporated milk or half and half, (or reduced fat cream -- full fat may also be used if not watching calorie intake)
- 3 heaping tablespoons cornstarch mixed and dissolved well in 2 cups of milk, (I use 2% milk)
- 1 pound (500 grams) fresh gnocchi (found in the fridge section of your supermarket)
- 4 cups shredded kale leaves, stems removed (or baby spinach leaves),
- extra salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: freshly grated Parmesan cheese and crispy bacon
Place the browned sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, broth, Italian seasoning, Vegeta (or bouillon), onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper in a crockpot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Add the evaporated milk (or half and half or cream), milk/cornstarch mixture and gnocchi. Stir and replace cover. Cook another 30 minutes until the soup has thickened and the gnocchi has softened.
Add in the chopped kale (or spinach), cover for an extra 5 minutes or until just beginning to wilt.
Taste test and season with extra salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately with optional parmesan cheese and bacon. (If soup thickens too much when cold, just add extra milk in half cup increments until achieving desired consistency while warming it up to serve.)
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 963mg | Potassium: 400mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4115IU | Vitamin C: 35.3mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 2.5mg