Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
A Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup full of incredible flavours, naturally thickened with no need for cream cheese or heavy creams!
Servings: 6 serves
- 1.2 kg | 2 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes , halved lengthwise
- 600 g | 1 1/4 lbs Grape (or Cherry) tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 8 whole cloves garlic , peeled and smashed with the back of a knife
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 1 potato (100 g | 3 oz), diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves , roughly torn
Preheat oven to 430°F | 220°C. Place tomatoes on a baking tray with the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 25 minutes, or until soft and charred on the tops.
While tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized pot/saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers (capsicum) and potato; cook while occasionally stirring, until the onion is transparent and the potato begin to crisp on the outer edges (about 6-7 minutes). Stir the tomato paste through the potatoes and onion; pour in the broth/stock; season with extra salt; cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; simmer for about 15 minutes or until potato is just tender when tested with a fork. Add the tomatoes, garlic and basil to the broth (save 2 tablespoons of basil to use as garnish if you wish); continue to simmer until the basil is just soft (about 2 minutes). Blend soup using a stick blender until smooth.
Optional: Pour the soup through a strainer or colander to remove any skins and thick tomato pieces, for a smoother soup.
Sprinkle with extra basil, shaved parmesan cheese, and serve with cheesy garlic bread
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 711mg | Potassium: 1056mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 4000IU | Vitamin C: 76.7mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2.7mg