Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Gingerbread French Toast Roll Ups
French Toast rolls ups full of the sweet flavours of Gingerbread and Cinnamon, filled with Nutella and Strawberries and dusted in sugar.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons skim/low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices sandwich bread of choice , crusts removed (I use sourdough)
- 4 tablespoons Nutella , divided (or any hazelnut chocolate/cacao spread)
- ½ cup sliced strawberries (small pieces)
- Icing sugar for dusting (OR 4 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar -- optional
- butter for greasing
Whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla together in a medium sized shallow bowl, large enough to fit the rolls, and set aside.
If bread slices are too thick, gently roll out and flatten each piece of bread. Be careful not to press too hard or they will break.
Spread ½ tablespoon Nutella per bread piece onto bread. Fill ⅓ of the bread slice with the strawberries and up gently and tightly around the berries side first (the Nutella will keep it in place) until a roll has formed. Set aside seam side down. Repeat with remaining bread until all rolls are done.
Heat pan with add a little butter or cooking oil spray on low-medium heat.
Dip the rolls into the egg mixture, turning them to coat evenly, and place them seam side down into the pan. Cook until golden brown, making sure to turn them about every 2-3 minutes so they brown evenly on all sides.
When fully cooked, remove them and dust with the icing/confectioners sugar (or roll them into a cinnamon sugar mixture)