Oven Baked Chicken Parma
This is our take on traditional Chicken Parma with a beautiful and homemade creamy tomato ‘salsa’ – oven baked to perfection because look at that melty cheese. With so many ‘melty cheese’ options, this one is the classic that we come back to!
Cheese is my weakness.
Cheese is all of our weakness in this house.
I think we could live off anything with melted cheese on it.
Oven baked schnitzels first, then adding the salsa and cheese last, to ensure a stringy and soft cheesy topping.
Say “Cheese!” Ok, I’ll stop now.
The husband orders Chicken Parma every.single.time we go somewhere.
He won’t try anything else on the menu… (He did once and was scarred for life). I don’t even remember what it was, just that it was bad. Like scrub your tongue with a toothbrush bad.
So, when running out of options on what to feed this family of mine…I look no further than to what they normally order when we go ‘out.’
Can’t go wrong with that, right?
Needless to say, when the cheese was bubbling away on these succulent chicken breasts, well, “our parma brings all the fams to the yard, and they’re like, it’s better than yours.”
These cheesy basil smells — almost like pizza — attracted them all to our yard.
We may have snapped our fingers.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
- ½ tablespoon onion flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsely
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- Sea salt to season
- 3 large chicken breast fillets , cut horizontally into 6x flattened 1-inch thick fillets
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or crumbs of choice (ground oats, almond meal, cornflake crumbs etc)
- 2 teaspoons garlic olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 large ripe tomatoes , roughly diced
- 1/2 cup low fat grated mozzarella cheese , divided
- Preheat oven 220c | 390f. Prepare an oven tray with parchment/baking paper, and set aside.
- Combine eggs, onion and garlic seasonings, parsley, basil and salt in a medium sized bowl and whisk well.
- Add in chicken and mix to coat well until all chicken fillets are fully covered.
- Pour breadcrumbs onto a separate plate, and dip chicken one at a time into breadcrumbs.
- Coat well and place onto tray. Repeat with all chicken fillets.
- Spray chicken with cooking oil spray (or any cooking oil spray of choice).
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes, turning once halfway, and cook until cooked through.
- Fry onion and garlic together in the oil, in a medium sized saucepan until onion becomes transparent
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and cover with lid to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tomatoes have completely dissolved
- Once chicken has baked and sauce has cooked through, spoon the sauce evenly over the fillets and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place back into the oven, changing the oven setting to grill/broil on medium heat, until cheese has melted (about 5 minutes).
- Done! Enjoy!
Serve with a side of creamy mashed potato or a salad for the perfect meal!
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.