Cheesy Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe with melted mozzarella cheese make the best side dish or main meal!
Easy, buttery and caramelized Brussels sprouts roasted with garlic and mozzarella is the tastiest way to get your veggies in! Sprouts taste so good in this recipe that the whole family gets behind this one.
Low carb and Keto approved.
With many of us now converts after trying them in a creamy sauce with bacon, or roasted with balsamic, the amount of emails coming in asking for more recipes have been crazy. Who woulda thought you’d all like sprouts so much?
With all of the different ways we’ve tested them out, this recipe right here is it. The kind of recipe you stand at the kitchen sink eating only one — or so you promise yourself — a promise made to be broken 12 more times before the dish finally reaches the table.
Cheesy garlic breads in vegetable style.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COOK BRUSSEL SPROUTS?
There are two cooking methods for this recipe:
- SAUTÉE FIRST THEN ROAST: This method creates an irresistible fried and nutty flavour before roasting. Pan fry sprouts first in hot oil to get them deliciously caramelized and slightly charred. Add butter and garlic just before they hit the oven to roast until fork tender. Once they’re roasted, top with cheese and devour the entire pan.
- OVEN ROAST ONLY: Toss sprouts with olive oil, melted butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Throw them on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender. The cheese goes on in the last 5 minutes under the broiler (or grill) to melt into a delicious warm blanket of mozzarella cheese.
Both are delicious. The pan fried first method just comes in slightly ahead of the oven only method. Nothing beats that unmistakable flavour of fried anything in oil, but this is personal preference!
WHAT CAN BE USED INSTEAD OF MOZZARELLA CHEESE?
Mozzarella cheese is a favourite here, even buffalo tastes amazing in this recipe. We tested this recipe with Provolone, Parmesan and Monterey Jack with great success and feedback. You can also try it with Gruyere or Gouda.
Looking for more Brussel sprouts recipes? Try these!
Cheesy Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 24 oz (700 g) brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half lengthways
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or provolone)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add sprouts, season with salt and pepper. Once hot, add your brussels sprouts and shake pan so sprouts land cut side down in a single layer. Let them cook, undisturbed, until slightly charred and caramelized (about 6-8 minutes).
- Melt the butter in the pan. Stir the butter through the sprouts, then add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds), stirring through the sprouts.
- Transfer sprouts to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just fork tender.
- Remove from oven and top with the cheese. Return to oven and broil (or grill) until the cheese melts and becomes golden (about 4-5 minutes).
- Adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil spray.
Arrange sprouts on baking sheet in a single layer. Set aside.
In a small bowl mix together olive oil, melted butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle the oil/butter mixture over the brussels sprouts and toss to evenly coat.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until vibrant and just fork tender.
Remove from oven and top with the cheese. Return to oven and broil (or grill) until the cheese melts and becomes golden (about 4-5 minutes). Adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.