Crispy chicken bakes over a bed of tomato basil rice in this One Pan Tomato Basil Chicken & Rice. Dinner is ready in 45 minutes! All made in one pan and so easy to prepare, you won’t believe it when it’s done. No rice cookers and no extra pans needed!
Tomato Basil Chicken & Rice has the most popular vote for dinner in my house!
Back up a second. Let me rephrase. Chicken SO crispy on the outside; tender and falling apart on the inside; tomato, basil rice with so much flavour and cooked in so.much.sauce. Chicken broth, tomato juices and chicken flavours, mixed through with chopped tomatoes, fresh basil leaves AND the addition of sun dried tomatoes if you so desire.
This Italian inspired recipe comes from this One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice recipe from so long ago. Do you remember it?
I was all set to remake and reshoot it to fix up those photos, when I decided to give you an even BETTER version of it. Times a thousand.
I have no doubt in my mind you will fall in love with THIS ONE more than THAT ONE.
Fist, you’re going to sear your chicken thighs (or you can use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts).
THEN, you’re going to follow the recipe exactly as it’s written, because it has the perfect rice to liquid ratio when using crushed tomatoes.
Chicken thighs are crisp-tender and juicy, cooked WITH the rice in one pan to minimise cleanup! You are SO welcome!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper / capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomato strips in oil, chopped (optional: but adds flavour)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice, rinsed (arborio rice may also be used for a risotto-like consistency)
- 1x 14.5 ounce (400g) tin crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1⅓ cups chicken broth (or chicken stock)
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (adjust to your taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper, (adjust to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- extra chopped fresh basil (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 200°c | 400°F. Heat the oil in a large, deep ovenproof cast iron skillet/or pan. Add the chicken, skin side down; sear for 3-4 mins on medium-high heat. Turn each thigh and sear until golden all over. Transfer the chicken onto a warm plate.
- Add the garlic; fry until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the onion and red peppers / capsicum; fry for about 3 minutes or until and onion is transparent. Stir in the sun dried tomatoes, rice, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth (stock). Season with salt, pepper and dried basil. Bring to a simmer and allow the rice to soak up all the tomato flavours.
- Place chicken thighs, skin side up, over rice. Bring to the boil; rotate the chicken in the tomato sauce to coat; cover with foil; transfer to preheated oven and allow to bake for about 40 minutes, or until the rice has softened and absorbed the liquid and the chicken is cooked through. Stir through an extra ¼ cup of water to the rice ONLY if needed (if rice hasn't cooked fully).
- Remove cover; change oven settings to broil / grill on medium heat for a further 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is crispy and golden.
- Season with extra salt to taste; sprinkle with freshly chopped basil to serve.
*I have re-edited the recipe to fit normal large-sized skillets. Feel free to double the recipe and pour into a baking dish if needing extra rice or extra serves.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.