Sticky Honey Sesame Chicken Wings
A beautiful mid-week or weekend meal; Sticky Chicken Wings — with the perfect amount of sweet and saltiness full of Chinese flavours. It’s really hard to believe these are diet friendly and low in points/calories!
When it comes to wings, I don’t like to over-season them and destroy the already perfect flavours they have.
And this marinade is so popular at parties, gatherings, and even just at home with the family and causes severe finger-licking-after-every-bite. Not classy. But who cares when every else is doing the same thing?
Creating this marinade was simple – yet incredible. The aromas of soy plus sweet soy, along with the honey and intermingled with garlic is slightly intoxicating and one of our favourite ways to prepare and eat wings.
And you can either marinade for a couple of hours — or cover and leave in the refrigerator to marinade over night for a deeper flavour. I’ve done both, and to be completely honest with you, I love both ways.
There’s something about sticky chicken. Biting into a wing so tender and juicy on the inside; baked to golden perfection on the outside; covered the most amazing flavours that set off some crazy fireworks in your mouth. Like Chinese New Year.
And sprinkling extra sesame seeds over them for an extra nuttiness that triggers off the honey in a super special way.
Serve these over steamed vegetables; with steamed rice; or enjoy as they are.
Especially with this sauce. You won’t miss anything more on your plate!
Weight Watchers: 6pp per chicken wing (1x drumette and 1x wingette)
- 1kg | 2lbs chicken wing nibbles -- Drumettes and Wingettes (or whole chicken wings; tip removed and discarded; each wing separated at the joint into 2 pieces)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Kecap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed/minced
- 1-2 tablespoons (extra) honey
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat oven to grill/broil settings on high heat (or 200c | 400f).
- Wash and rinse chicken wings and pat dry. Cut the skin off of the wing drumettes, and leave it on for the wingettes (if you want to cut out the extra fat).
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together the soy sauce, Kecap Manis, honey, sesame oil and garlic. Add the chicken and mix into the sauce to coat. Refrigerate to marinade for 1-2 hours (or overnight for a stronger flavour).
- Remove wings from marinade and reserve liquid. Arrange chicken wings skin side up onto an oven tray lined with aluminium foil, and drizzle with a little extra honey. Grill/broil for 8-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Turn the wings and grill/broil for a further 5-8 minutes more, or until they are golden, sticky and cooked through.
- While the wings are in the oven; pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan, and bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
- To serve, pour honey sauce over the wings and garnish with sesame seeds.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.