Osso Bucco in Red Wine Salsa with Soft Polenta
Tender pieces of Osso Bucco simmered in a beautiful rich tomato salsa with a hint of red wine, and served over creamy soft polenta…
Hi. My name is Karina, and I love food. All food. But good, traditional dishes win me over every.single.time. Like….let’s seeeeee now… the Tortellini with Chunky Beef Sauce; the Lasagna from a few weeks back — and that beautiful Cannelloni stuffed with Turkey and Sweet Potato..
I know it’s probably pretty obvious that my upbringing has a strong, Italian influence (that would be the Uruguayan part), but my mother (being the Colombian part) has always altered some things to suit her cooking style, and then my New York/Australian upbringing crashes down on everything and intermingles it with my Czech husbands tastes, and somehow I’ve created food that suits everyone and ‘no complains.’ Phew. Did I lose some of you? Because that’s a mouthful.
The Osso Bucco simmered in the red wine tenderises in such a way that the beef melts in your mouth, with the rich tomato flavours in the sauce on a bed of warm, soft polenta that satisfies even the fussiest eater.
A perfect, warm and cosy meal for cold nights, rainy days and cloudy skies…
Weight Watchers: 11pp per serve (See nutrition notes below)
- 1 tablespoon garlic olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
- 4 Osso Bucco beef steaks
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 can condensed tomato soup (or pasta sauce or crushed tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- Parsley to garnish
- Polenta prepared to package instructions
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onions, carrots and garlic. Cook until onion is transparent. Add the osso bucco steaks and brown on both sides.
- Add tomato paste, wine, soup/pasta sauce or tomatoes, stock powder and water. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Cover pan with lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1-1½ hours until beef is tender. Sprinkle with salt (if needed) to suit your tastes.
- Serve over prepared polenta and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
© 2014, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.